Tuesday, August 24, 2010

God in the Calling

What a strange day.  Today school started and I realized that my life as a MOM will be a little different now.  Not only is my older child now in high school **OMG** but my younger child has just started her last year of elementary.  When I see this in black and white it really seems so benign…  but my heart is starting to quiver at the thought that I have made it to the point in life where elementary school will be a thing of the past.  No more PTA meetings to sit through so that I can watch my child sing in the half-hour play that the teachers put on.  No more "Pre-Packaged School Supplies" to support PTA.  No more daily signing folders to see what my kiddo has done that day.  But wait…  this also means no more sweet (and still a little sticky) craft projects coming home at Mother's Day, Father's Day, Christmas…  No more "Guess what I did today" excitement.  No more going on field trips and getting to be the "Best Mom Ever" when I buy all of the kids in my group an ice-cream…  I will miss these days so very much – but I will look forward to Science projects, and overnight field trips, and of course helping with homework that is way over my head.  Coming to terms with the fact that your child has just surpassed you in the category of "book-smarts" is a hard thing to do.  I am so not looking forward to getting into a battle of whits with my child and LOSING…  But I know it is coming and it is bearing down on me way faster than I want it to…

I wonder what the Father thinks when we, as Christians "graduate" to the next level…  And what is that anyway.  I mean seriously – I hear the term Baby Christians...  all the time.  I have even been guilty of calling myself one from time to time.  I suppose now, if I were to have to categorize myself, I would lean toward being a Pre-Teen Christian…  Feeling like I know more than I used to but without the smart mouth – and cocky attitude…  How though, does GOD see me?  I am HIS child – does he even categorize me…  I mean really now – how often do those who feel so unequipped and young in their walk get called to do more for His Kingdom?  It happens – ALL.  THE.  TIME.  And I would be willing to bet – each of us that is really open to doing what He wants for us, will all be faced with a challenge – the challenge – of just doing what HE asks us to do, instead of telling him what we are willing, or able, or wanting to do.  Take me for instance – I don't really like kids.  Don't get me wrong – I love them, but I don't like them too much.  I have a very low tolerance for misbehaving children.  You know the kind I am referring to - the kind that are serious Heathen-Devil-Dog-Misbehaving children...  the ones that you just don't look forward to dealing with. This happened to me recently – I began to teach Kindergarten Girls (a group of six of them) about JESUS.  Do you know what happened – GOD has changed my heart.  I love these little girls.  And now that the school year is over, I am blessed to teach a new set of girls.  I am blessed to get to know more names, and situations, and teach them how to hide JESUS in their hearts.  Will it be a challenge – you bet!!  But I think it will be one of the best challenges I have taken on in a long time, and I am assured that it will be WORTH THE EFFORT!!!!           

Woohoo GOD!!

Thanks for calling me GOD and thanks for growing me just as you grow my children – thank you for entrusting them to me and for allowing me to be their mom.  I pray that all of the little children you put in my class will see Jesus in me – in big ways and small – and that in some small way I will help them to know you, and maybe even help them to draw near to you.  If I can just plant some seeds into these sweet little hearts that are so ready for you LORD – I just ask that you equip me.  I know you will – you have promised this…

No comments:

Post a Comment