Sunday, February 20, 2011

What a change some time makes...

It was a mere six months ago (give or take) that the Hubs decided - while I was in the hospital and could not share a lucid opinion , thank you very much - that he would turn off our satellite.  We tried to get a converter box and rabbit ears - but alas, it was a bit too complicated for my taste so back it all went and there we were stuck without TV.  Now I must confess, at the place where I work, we have two T.V.s and they are tuned to news shows such as CNN and FOX News all of the time, so I do get a fair amout of screen time, just not the kind that I did before.  I find that even though I am television-less, it is really only a pain when someone askes me if I have seen a recent commercial or show or something.  Then, invariably they will roll their eyes and say, "Never mind, you dont HAVE television..." and keep right on with their conversation.  Sometimes I feel a bit left out, but mostly it is pretty irrelivant to me. I have something that many of the TV watchers do not have, I have time.  And having time means that I can make changes because I have time to do so.  In recent weeks and months...  ok well since the middle of January anyway...  I have been on a de-cluttering mission.  Let me tell you, it is really sad when you have gotten rid of several trashcans full of garbage, several car loads to the good will, and much to the recycle bin, and yet it still does not look like you even made a dent in it...  Oh but I have learned to train my eye to see what the regular person will not...  I see that I have emptied at least  or six or seven tubs of crap that lined the wall of my garage, so now instead of a "Wall-O-Tubs" filled with all kinds of unnecessary stuff, I now have a column of empty tubs, nested one inside the other...  and I can now see passed the clutter that has made itself at home in my home and can start to get to the bottom of it and get it gone from my home.  It seems that where I once had blinders on - now I can see full spectrum...  please do not get me wrong, my house is still a wreck, but that is because we are working toward some other missions to get rid of clutter.  Each box I go through is carefully scrutinized and if I find anything that I think I want to keep - it must find a home immediately.  Then if I cannot find a good home for it I must get rid of it.  I keep coming across photos...  Blessed memories that I cherish, but you would not know it the way I have treated these photos just throwing them in boxes and not even labeling them.  So the Hubs and I are systematically scanning all photos into soft copy so that if anything ever were to happen, the waterheater goes KA-BLAM or the house were to meet an untimely demise, our belongings might be gone but the proof of our memories live on in cyberspace.  I am so excited about this I just cannot even say.  It is nice to know, plus it is giving me an opportunity to get all of these photos into photo boxes, and label them while I still remember when they are from... 

I have also had to come to terms with much of my crap...  I have moved so many times - probably some where around 12 in all in my adult life and I realized that I have moved so much crap from one place to another, when it should have been given to good will or even thrown away.  The Hubs and I have a financial plan that, if worked properly, will allow us to purchase a home of our own in a few years.  We have talked about where we want to be and have seriously talked about down-sizing to a "retirement" sized home a little early...  like a condo.  No mowing, and less home to clean!  This means I have to stay focused so that we will have as much of this crap gone as possible and only move things we absolutely LOVE into where ever we go...  I love this plan.  Slowly I will get there, but I have also learned it is an on-going process to keep the clutter at bay.  This will take us some time, but like I said we have lots of that, and what a change some time makes...

No comments:

Post a Comment