Wednesday, April 7, 2010

New Vision

This year I learned a lot about myself and GOD during my fast for Lent.

I gave up something that was hard for me, but it was the best thing I have done for myself in a long time.  I gave up a huge time-killer.  I gave up Facebook Applications. 

After Lent was over I spent Monday and Tuesday evening trying to play "catch-up" with my apps.  This was an exercise in futility.  It seemed impossible!  At the end of the evening last night I realized, that it was keeping me from doing some of the more important things I should be doing.  So I think I will fast again.  From time-wasters like FB and TV and mindless surfing of the internet.  I realized that I get a much greater joy in looking into myself and spending time blogging, thinking about things that happen in my life and trying to approach them in a different way - to see them differently, perhaps a little more clearly, but certainly from a different perspective.  That is what Lent was about for me this year I think.  Many things that I had a certain "thoughts" about, were revealed in new and different ways.  Some were heart warming, others were heart wrenching.  Ultimately though, I think God gave me the gift of new vision.  This new vision is all at once fantastic and wretched.  I love seeing anew just how my kiddos think...  It is such a blessing.  The down side is that I also seem to be more aware of some of the negativity and "sin" icism...  I realize that you can't even watch commercials on the TV any more as many are just completely inappropriate for kids to be watchin...  Maybe that is more than a good thing, perhaps it is a God thing as well.  When we made the decision in our home to watch TV as a family, and only watch that which we can all watch - it really cut down on our TV watching all together.  There are so many things we should be doing instead like reading and spending time with GOD in prayer and in effortless conversation with HIM and each other.  When we can turn on the radio and listen to some uplifting spiritual music and just get moving, get our to do lists checked off and complete our daily requirements.  I find it to be so freeing!  I am challenging myself to again not do the FB applications, but also to spend less time watching TV and more time hanging out with my family and living LIFE!  Now that spring has sprung, perhaps we can find some fun things to do outside, and away from all the time-killers. 

I just pray that GOD will reveal Himself again in a fresh, new way just as he has done for me before.  I pray that I will stay focused!  I pray that I will find peace!  I pray that I will know HIM more! 

If you are reading this, please pray for me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment